Depression: the Islamic Solution

Depression: the Islamic Solution

Coping with DepressionThe hardest part to getting through depression is not knowing who to turn to for help. It becomes very hard for us to trust people and take advice because we have isolated ourselves completely from the people we love.

Coping with DepressionWe have to admit that our teenage years are a difficult stage in our lives. During that time, we are often tested and later realize that test had a great impact on us today.

Sometimes we look at an individual and the first thing that comes to our mind if they are smiling and enjoying themselves is, “I wish I could live that person’s life, they seem so happy, free from problems and hardships.”

The truth is that nobody has a life free from hardships. It is easy to hide what we have been through and to keep the pain that continually adds up inside without opening up and discussing the problem. One of the most important things I have learned is constantly keeping things to yourself can lead to a more severe anxiety and depression.

Depression has become a very serious and common illness among teenagers in today’s society. We face certain temptations and are pressured to get no less than an A+ in school. From personal experience, I have to admit that depression is very hard to overcome and recover from. You cannot simply wake up one morning, go to a therapist for a 45 minute session, and feel happy and cheerful again. Recovering from depression, anxiety and panic attacks takes a while, for some people it may take weeks, and for others it may take months or even years depending on how hard they are willing to work with the therapist, psychiatrist, and anti depressants.

The hardest part to getting through depression is not knowing who to turn to for help. It becomes very hard for us to trust people and take advice because we have isolated ourselves completely from the people we love. It becomes extremely hard to control our emotions as well. The first step is to discuss your problem with the parent you feel most comfortable with. Letting out your emotions is one way of reducing depression because emotions will eventually control you if you let them build up.

While I was attending my regular session with my therapist in Ann Arbor, Michigan one day, she said to me, “one of my other patients describes depression as a beast that has taken over you.”

After my recovery, I realized that was exactly what I felt. The reason I had realized that afterwards was because while experiencing depression, it becomes almost impossible to explain your feelings. You feel hopeless and when the therapist asks questions, you have this constant thought of, “what is the point in discussing this, I’ll never feel happy and normal again.” That is not true.

Although I have had a history with antidepressants and therapy, and later on ending up in the hospital for an eating disorder, I am completely against them. I have learned from this experience that religion is the ultimate cure for depression. Allah will never leave his servant helpless with a sincere intention of wanting to change and live a faithful and prosperous life. Staying in the hospital for a few days gave me time to reflect on life, its meaning, and my goals. It was at that time when Allah guided me and showed me the right path, without the antidepressants and therapy.

I remember one day I was eating lunch in the dining hall, and I looked around the dining room and saw a young boy, at the age of 9 or 10, sitting alone. My family was in the dining room with me, and I saw that as the young boy’s father walked into the room, he ran for his father to hug him as if he hadn’t seen him in months. After lunch my family went home, and I later found out that this young boy had a disease, which I do not want to mention the name of, and all he wanted was to spend time with his parents but they are busy with their business. They visit him once a week for a few minutes.

At that moment I asked myself, “why is it that I am so ungrateful to have loving parents who came to spend time with me every single day I was in that hospital?” That is when I remembered the verse in the Holy Qur’an, which tells us that “very few of My servants are grateful.”

From this experience, I would just like to say that there is truly nothing worth being depressed over in this world. We need to put our faith in Allah and trust that he will protect us from anything and everything. Let us make the hereafter our main priority and if we focus on that alone, and I can guarantee that depression will not be a problem.

*The purpose of this article is to provide an Islamic perspective on a medical issue and is only intended to be informational. It should not be considered a substitute for professional medical or psychiatric assistance.

The following two tabs change content below.

Islamic Insights

Latest posts by Islamic Insights (see all)

60 Comments

1. Shaan
    January 28, 09:46
    Thanks for sharing this beautiful and heartwarming story sister, which was also very well written. These types of problems are rarely if ever discussed in our communities, we need more people like yourself who have the courage to speak up about them.
  2. Amir
    January 28, 18:20
    Salaam<br /><br />Thank you sister Duaa, this is a topic that is not very well discussed but it is a very widespread problem, almost everyone experiences depression at some point in their lives, especially in teen years (myself included). Your honesty in expressing yourself is exactly what we need. I think we should expand on this and even perhaps set up a group (I do not know of one that exists) that works on helping educate our Brothers and Sisters that are afflicted with this or other mental disorders. Unfortunately, many if our communitiies (especially the older generations) brush off depression as merely a shortcoming of the victim, often not recognizing the gravity of the situation. In fact, a brother in our community in MI commit suicide fairly recently due to his lack of strength in dealng with the beast - a strength which we must provide each other. I'd love to see more of this and would love to help if I can insha'Allah.<br />Jazakallah Khair :-)<br />Wasalaam<br /><br />--Amir Naqvi<br />AmirN86@yahoo.com
  3. Duaa Al-Ziyadi
    January 28, 20:20
    Salaam Br. Amir,<br /><br />I agree a group would be a great idea-it is much needed during this time because of everything that is taking place around the world that has an effect on us, often times leading to depression. I know many people who always say, "If I told you what I have been through, you would not understand my feelings during my depression." So I thought why not discuss my experience, although it's a bit personal, it is beneficial to many (Insh'Allah). Alhamdulilah I had the opportunity to share my solution to the "Beast" and I pray that Allah (swt) allows others to use the same solution, religion.
  4. Br. Ulrick
    January 30, 19:10
    Salaam Sister,<br /><br />Beautiful article and I agree with you on the importance of spirituality and the value of a strong supportive family. Not all mental disorders is solely cured by medications. It is a grave injustice to think in this manner. However, it is equally tragic to think that medications have no role in the treatment of mental illness. Also, we often confuse depression with adjustment disorder or even dysthymia in which maybe talk therapy or cognitive behavorial therapy is a better modality. The diagnosis of depression is real and without treatment is deadly. I have seen first hand how antidepressants can and have saved lives. Yes, many people are on antidepressants and the majority of antidepressants are prescribed by non-Psychiatrists (i.e primary care physicians) but for some people this is the best form of treatment and we as a community should be wary of giving each other information that may not be in their best interest. In addition to strong iman, a loving family, a strong, caring community is also essential to mental well being.<br /><br />Fee Amaniallah
  5. Duaa Al-Ziyadi
    February 03, 20:53
    Salaam<br /><br />The point I was trying to make is that we need to turn to Allah (swt) before the antidepressants. Yes the antidepressants have saved lives but they can make a believer back away from religion because some of them make us careless towards Islamic duties while on them. And antidepressants are temporary relief, from my experience. They make you feel better for a while, then you either become addicted to them or end up depressed after a while. And what we need is Muslim therapists, they are very necessary...But if someone feels that they cannot turn to Allah (swt) for whatever reason first, then they have no choice but to use antidepressants to get them back on track and risk getting addicted to them otherwise they'll end up considering suicide as the answer...Insh'Allah khair...
  6. Yasir
    February 12, 10:30
    Assalamualaikum. I was living an "unislamic life" before which means i was not paying attention to islamic laws but later I decided to revert back fully to islam and there comes difficulties. Irritable bowel which bothered me mentally and then became anxiety which developed into depression.. I kept on asking duahs from Allah and the only thing my mind thinks: What's the use of praying to Allah and accomplishing swalaat 5 times a day when they can't even change your life. why waste time by praying and asking duah? Why did Allah say thath he will give everything you want when u ask in the tahajjud time and yet no answer from him..Where is hope?? When you don't ask allah, allah says: why my servant does not ask me??? but when you ask, not even a reply.. How can u help youself in such a situation?? How long will i keep on persevering??? I'm still 20years and student @ uni but how can i study when so many things just keep on cropping up??
    • Faiza
      October 24, 17:19
      Salam bro, hope you in good health, brother jus remember every Dua gets excepted, some Dua's get excepted straight away and others do get excepted but you see the outcome later, what ever Allah (SWT) does, does it for out best, the outcome of Duas that you dont see in this life, you will see it in the life here after and thats more important, jus have patience, that is a big virtue and Inshallah youl see the benefits in this life and the life herafter. Brother we all get tested. Maybe Allah (SWT) testing to see how much hope you have in him. Just do what you got to do, set yourself a time table and stick by it, jus do your work Inshallah youl be sucessful, just keep smiling, dont let anything or anyone get to you its not worth it, our life is short and remember what will get us anywhere is our Deeds, our Faith in Allah (SWT), dnt give up
  7. Duaa Al-Ziyadi
    February 12, 21:05
    Salaam Br. Yasir,<br /><br />It's the way you think, to be specific.. the negativity is what stops you from getting through depression. Here's an example, if someone is going out in this world to prove the existence of God, if they go out with an open heart, don't you think they will eventually find God? Whereas, if they went out searching and telling themselves, "this is a waste of time..." they will DEFINITELY not find what they are looking for. The way you think is very similar to this...if you keep telling yourself, "why waste time by praying and asking dua" then you will find no purpose in your prayers and Duas. You need to seek God's mercy with a sincere heart and most importantly, HOPE that he will answer your Duas and give you a better life. Have a positive outlook on life. Life is not easy, but with difficulty comes ease. Because whenever something happens, in the end it is only Allah (swt) we return to. In your situation, spend time just speaking with Allah (swt), through prayers or just his remembrance...Allah (swt) is the All-Hearing, and I have to admit sometimes things happen that are out of our control and they cause us to be very disappointed and sometimes depressed by just the thought that Allah (swt) knows best and the trials he gives us are for our own good keeps me on the right track. Look at life in this way, Allah (swt) has given us more than our "needs" so let's be thankful for that. Difficulties will come and go but what matters is how we deal with them...do they bring us closer to Allah (swt) or do we get farther and farther away from our religion? Constantly remind yourself of the tragedies Ahlulbayt (as) had to face, Sayida Zaineb (as) faced something that nobody has ever been through...she had to be patient through the tragedy of Karbala, a tragedy like no other in history, and yet she did not complain, she understood that bearing the pain of this dunya, no matter how hard it may be, will result in great reward in the hereafter, make that your focus...worry about the hereafter and you will get out of this depression...Allah Kareem...
  8. Abdi
    April 25, 22:09
    Yassir,<br /><br />Focus on all the good things Allah has given you-which you take for granted and then you will be fine.<br /><br />Also, sometimes the duas are answered years later, like in the case of Prophet Musa (AS) who had a dua answered 40 years later.<br /><br />I think we can beat depression by going back to basics in Islam. Like the 6 concepts of Iman. We need to accept QadrulAllah (Allah's will) good or bad. Whatever tragedy caused our depression may be a test from Allah. So can accept Allah's will and hopefully you will be fine. <br /><br />This world is full of tests. May be Allah is testing your patience. Be patient, keep praying and inshaAllah you will be fine.
  9. Zahra
    June 13, 10:56
    Salaam Sr-<br />I really applaud you for your honesty and your heartfelt explication of the realities of depression. I am currently dealing with it and you're right on the ball with everything.<br /><br />Allah (swt) tests us in many ways, and with the things we value the most i.e. health being one of them. I agree with the brother who said that patience and prayer is crucial. Faith in God, handing over our unmanageable lives to God is necessary for we have to accept who we are and what our situation is as well as stay positive.
  10. ZaraSyed
    June 13, 23:53
    Salam sis, <br />Thank you for sharing your story, it is truly moving. <br />Great advice. :-)
  11. sheedz
    August 31, 17:18
    salaamz all,<br /><br />I feel this article has great importnce and value, as it is a current issue faced by many people (including myself) yet there is much stigma attached to this topic, also many muslims feel there is no such thing as depression in islam. If you have faith/imaan depression would be nonexistant. However I believe nothing in life is always so black and white and I have learnt this through my own personal experience.<br /><br />I can relate extremely well to this article as recently i have been going through many hardships, a lot of pain, hurting and suffering. So much so, many times i thought of ending my life, to end the suffering, to end the pain, because it was too much for me to bare and i wanted it all to end, I wanted my life to end. And you are extremely right when saying it is the 'beast that has taken over you'. Because all it does is eat up away at you, bulding up inside. At one point it built up so bad I overdosed myself. Fortunately for me I am still alive and that is what made me realise Allah has plans for me, its not my time to die, that I have been blessed with life. I am still going through all the suffering and pain but I now realise mabe there is something I will learn in life after I have delt with the suffering.<br /><br />Thankfully I had the support of my friends without judgements which helped me. Without this support network I really don't feel I would have been able to get through this ordeal. Therefore I feel by writing this article, it has established people are not alone, and they have the support and guidance there if required.
  12. --
    September 15, 21:59
    Thank you so much for sharing your story. It makes me hope that Islam is a cure for depression. I really need to appreciate the wonderful family and life that I have.
  13. Ayesha
    September 22, 15:42
    Salaam, <br />about time muslims talked about this subject.Many say this is nonsense, no such thing as <br />depression for muslims, people with iman don't suffer from depression. <br /><br />I myself am suffering.only those who have it or have been through it can understand. I allways have strong <br />belief in Allah, when I was in deep depression my faith held me togather. only people with mild form of depression can deal with this without medication and help. when one is deeply affected its not so easy.<br />
  14. Jalalkhan
    December 23, 01:46
    I believe the best medicine for depression is the remembrance of Allah and the words of Allah which is the recitation of the Holy Qur'aan at all times and in performing prayers at the appointed times and thinking of the Allah at every moment so that the Shaitan cannot find residence in your heart and cause you deep and frustrating emotions.If you make tasbih all the times then you will never be in a depressive mood and believe me you do not need any depressants but the mentioning of the name of Allah as part of your diet is the only solution.
  15. jannah
    February 24, 19:51
    hello, abit late but i found this article at last. i'm now suffering from depression but i am still a muslim. don't get me wrong, but the reason why i didn't even try to commit suicide when i was feeling suicidal was islam. but i'm sortof only clinging on it, and i don't even want to think about letting it go >_< the thing is i think i'm getting weaker, yes i strongly believe in god and i pray everyday and i'm sure that god is listening and will or is helping me out...but i don't know how long this 'optimistic' feeling's going to last! what if i DO let go :sad: i didn't take anti-depressents because i think islam should be the cure, and i pray the sunnahs sometimes but today i forgot to pray the maghrib and now i'm feeling so bad and horrible! i mean, if someone can forget their prayers already, then the situation must be really really bad and i honestly don't want to let go :sad: college is already going bad and i don't think i'm going to uni, at the rate i'm going. meh.<br /><br />ah, ranting. this article did bring some comfort and hope though :-)
  16. AMR
    February 24, 23:32
    Salams <br /><br />It is unfortunate to hear about your situation, and may Allah give us all the strength to go through the tests of life. However, depression is an actual medical condition, and it is a very good idea for you to speak to a professional psychiatrist regarding your condition. Unlike some other religions, Islam does not tell its followers to simply rely on "faith" to solve all their problems. Just like when you get sick and you get medication, similarly you have to realize that, albeit taboo, depression is a medical condition that can be treated through medication, etc. While it is important to keep in mind that God is the source of all mercy and health, God has created avenues and procedures for us to receive that mercy, and in case of any medical condition (depression or otherwise), that venue is by going through a medical professional instead of solely relying on prayer. I strongly urge you to speak with a psychiatrist regarding your condition, and I pray for Allah to grant you a cure.<br /><br />Wassalam.
  17. Happy/Sad
    July 21, 06:44
    Salaam,<br /><br />I have been suffering from depression for so many years that I am literally sick of it. I have these unrealistic fears that just build up in me that I cannot control...I have the fear of death of people that I am attached to. I know I should be attached to and surrender completely to Allah and I want to do that but these fears just unable me to live my daily life. I drive myself crazy as well as my family. I have been on antidepressents that just keep increasing day by day. I am sick of all these meds. and I am so young to be even taking them. I just pray to Allah that I can get off them and never, ever have to turn back to them again or another episode of depression. Dua, your article did give me a lot of hope and enabled me to write. We desperately need Muslim counselors in each community. Anyone have any idea what I could do about my depression because every a few months I collapse and it is not pleasant at all.
  18. shajida
    August 05, 12:10
    i was into a depression before... and blame the whole world. but since a put ALLAH here in my heart and mind, I started to feel that im not alone and everything would be healed, if we have our faith and trust in<br />ALLAH no matter what adversities comes to our life we will survive. HE is not giving as trials just<br />to mislead our lives, instead to become more strong and make ourselves as a better person. our heart and souls cleanse and become pure if we continue to do good and take the challenges in our life as our guide to success. INSA ALLAH!
  19. Sara
    October 04, 20:11
    Depression is a part of life all of us feel depression even in minor problems but depression in any big trouble or without trouble which is mostly due to our self made problems becomes unbearable. <br /><br />once in my college days i was much depressed over my grades which was a big problem for me at that time. i was weeping and weeping, and when i got tired i prayed with tears and my my all teasing problems slowly went away, this was my first experience now whenever i feel any problem i recite the dua "Ya hayyu Ya Kayyum Bay Rehmatiqa Astagheesu"(correct if the spellings are wrong???) and beleive all of you as i recite it continuously it cures everything and i could see the way out.<br /><br />And i always thanked my Allah who make me Muslim and gave me sense to become near to HIM. what else we need? everything else is part of this worldly examination. Allah help us all to get successful through it Amin. <br /><br />Also if you pray with tears putting ahand at your heart you could feel that HE is around you and is ready to fulfill your desires.<br /><br />Allah help us all to become good Muslims Amin.
  20. Sayyed Faisal
    January 24, 21:35
    Salaam Aleykum Duaa,<br /> Thanks for the post. I have just been looking for Islamic cure for anxiety when I came across your story. It touched me and I feel like that I am not the only one who suffers from stress and anxiety. Its true what u mentioned but a Muslim should also have a strong belief. Also one should recite " Astaghfirullah Alledhi La Ilaha illa huwal Hayyul Qayyum Watubu ilah"
  21. Firah
    May 21, 16:38
    DUAA, <br />I enjoyed reading this article. Over the recent years I have been going through tests that have almost shook me to the core mentally. Anxiety and feelings of panic occur more often. One thing I am grateful for is that my tests have pushed me to rely on Allah more and to mentally fight even when it seems things are the same or worse and my mind is overwhelmed. I am determined with the Help of God to get through this, hold on to my Islam, and live an Islamically successful life with my children. Life is hard and we do not know what we will face, but Allah Knows. Another thing that helps is knowing what we should do and what we should not do. This helps us to know when we feel we are reaching the "breaking point" we still have to stay focused so that we do not make our lives more miserable by making the wrong decisions to fix the problem. I need your duas and I am grateful for Allah's Mercy and Grace. Depression is real and no joke but it also reminds us of how far away I may be from keeping things in the right Islamic perspective. If I was more grateful to Allah and viewed life in the proper way, I do not think I would be depressed because I would have no reason or time to feel it.
  22. unknown
    June 13, 06:23
    I am depressed and feel as though i am being punishd for my past sins. I do not know who to turn to. I can speak to my family or see a therapist. I do not have the courage or strength and in deperate need of help. I have been in this for almost a decade and is losing hope..
  23. MS
    June 13, 10:34
    Salaam, <br /><br /> Please do not lose hope. Stay positive. Always remember that we are all dependant and reliant on Allah (SWT) for every moment of our existence. Depression is essentially all about mental strength, and saying to yourself "inshAllah we will get throught this." ---ILLAHI AMEEN. I have found that putting our trust in Allah and praying to Him with te intercession of the Ahlul Bayt (A.S.) for all legitimate desires, is the way fwd. I hope this helps, and that iA your problems and afflictions resolve. ILLAHI AMEEN
  24. F
    June 18, 21:26
    Salam. Thanku for this article. This is the first I've read on an islamic site about depression. And yes I am currently going through that whole phase of depression too and it doesn't seem to end. I cannot talk to anyone about it but I try to tackle it by staying close to relgion. Its not working so far. I ackowledge that there are sooooo many people out there worse off then me, but just like other ungrateful people, I can't help feel down. Isn't it cruel that we have the most important exams etc during this period of our lives? Can u please explain more of how u got over ur depression. It would give me and many other people the much needed hope. Thanku.
  25. mariam
    September 01, 22:45
    asalaam alikom i wana share my story to u brothers and sisters . i am so sad when i m looking to my three brothers 30 . 26. and 22. that they are disable. they are so younge spicialy my poor mum whos taking care of these three.but we believe on god and for sure inshallah he well give me my mum and my brothers rewards in the hereafter .but alhamdulella allah gives me a very nice and caring husband so dont think on one side if allah gives u onething u think wrong.so see he gives u alot to thank .<br />him. so dont think about sad things think about good thinks a
  26. Jbaraz
    September 17, 14:48
    Salam. Depression is a truly terrible illness, and frankly, as a sufferer, its also something from which I feel great shame. The shame just adds on to the mental pain, and just constantly wondering if I should carry on with this life with nothing good going for me, and all the happy faces around me. I've tried to reach out to Allah many times, but my mind keeps telling me its useless to pray, Allah will never forgive me and stuff like that. Anyways, there is nothing else to do but to keep hoping for peace for the future. These kind of articles help me find hope, that it may get better someday, that if I truly believe in Allah's help, His help will come. On that note, Insha'Allah all the sufferers of this disease will find peace one day, God willing.
  27. Ayesha
    September 22, 11:30
    Assalamoalaikum,<br /> I am going through a bad phase of my life..I have very strong faith in Allah but now i feel that He doesnt listen to me.He is not responding to my prayers.Its been more than a year now..I am badly depressed .Dont have anyone to share my feelings...neither Allah is responding...I totally depend on Him....Please pray for me...I am loosing hope. :sad:
    • Faiza
      October 24, 20:13
      Salaam sis...<br /><br />Inshallah my duas will always be with you...<br /><br />go up the page..and read my previous comment
  28. Amal.
    October 27, 11:59
    People dont take depression seriously enough...I know I need to turn to God and start praying but I just cant bring myself to do it....im confused and dont know what im doing with my life...im only 18 and in a psychiatric hospital after I took an overdose..I feel like noone cares...I know suicide is haram, but im suicidal :(
    • Faiza
      November 02, 15:14
      Salam Bros n Sises, Amal dats d shaytaan mesn ur mynd up, dnt 4gt wn cmt scyd, u wil nva eva b 4gvn, it aint gt gt u anywr bsydz hl, n am sure u dnt wana go dr, d bst ting is jus tink bwt d Blessings dat Allah (SWT) has blesd u wd, d mre u thank Allah (SWT) d les it is, Pray jus go n du it, du it nw dn latea, its nt hard. I tink ur luky cuz myb Allah (SWT) guidn u 2 d ryt path, dnt lt dis world dcv u k..
  29. Abed
    November 06, 07:02
    Br. & Sisters,<br />I'm depressed for last five month; I'm losing hope, but knowing that some other Muslims are going thru the same bad beast, help us all. I was thinking depression is punishment from Allah, but to know some other Muslim have the same thing, it give some comfort that thought could be one of the many negative one we have when we go thru this depression<br />This is very useful subject, I think It is not addressed well in the Muslim community, because a lot of brothers tell you if have good Iman you should not have that depression, why you are going thru this if counting Allah blessing.<br />1) Is it a punishment from Allah?<br />2) I have three children; I wonder how Allah punishes them since they are incent!
  30. Guest
    January 09, 12:39
    Great article its highlighted an issue which is rarely talked about and from the comments there are quite a few people who are experiencing something similar to what the author has shared with us. I hope all these people can find the help they need Inshallah and maybe look in to finding a therapist because talking can really help, speak to your GP for more advice. <br /><br />I work with people who are suffering from different types of mental health disorders and I have to say medication has helped significantly in putting their lives back to normal, however these people had symptoms which were so severe they could no longer continue with their daily lives; they had a clinical form of mental health issues. I know someone who's condition was so bad it had taken over their whole life they couldn't do very basic things let alone pray and think of God but since having medication they got their life back on track and they have started praying again Mashallah. <br /><br />I can accept why people would not want to opt for medication and in my opinion it should be the last resort however someone once said to me that all knowledge is from Allah (SWT) he created everything what ever means you use to help yourself get better whether its therapy or medication etc it is all from Allah (SWT). I'm not advocating the use of medication but raising point which should be considered. I think personally that a holistic approach is needed to help in coping with depression whether its mild or clinical as it can help in different aspects of your life. <br /><br />Try and remember that whatever your going through it will pass and Gods test us whether our lives are going well or badly. Inshallah you will all have your prayers answered :)
  31. Guest
    January 09, 12:49
    For those who live in the UK you can contact this organisation <br /><br />http://www.sakinah.org.uk<br /><br />They have islamic counsellors
  32. hannah
    April 06, 17:45
    Slmz,my request for anyone's duas.<br />I wish I could say I've recovered from<br />My depression but I haven't,as far as the <br />Eating disorder is concerned I have it too<br />And it is beyond my control.every day seems to be <br />A battle with no one to talk to but Allah<br />I don't know what to do or how to go on <br />And lead my life.every night is something I dread<br /> Because all the wounds seem fresh..<br />When is it all gna stop...:(...I feel so alone<br />I wish I could be told that ill be ok.:(<br />:(...:(...:(....ake dua for me please<br /><br />.
  33. hannah
    April 06, 17:45
  34. I am also suffering from similar problems. The depression and anxiety has been ongoing for many years. Then I kept faith and prayed and alhamdulillah I managed to get my life back on track. Although I had the odd palpitations and minor panic attacks. A few years on and I am again suffering only this time it is affecting me far worse. At first I thought I was suffering from Sihr and Demons. If that so is the case then all the symptoms began to match up. But reading too much into it sent me into a downhill spiral. I was always a person who felt scared of everything. I never felt like I could get through things. I get palpitations, headaches that will crush your brain, muscle spasms, shaking, especially at night. I just pray. I get confusing bad thoughts. I know that they will slowly go away if I control them. You control Your mind, don't let your mind control you. Never lose hope, if i had i wouldn't be writing this now. Trust me Allah Talah listens to us all. There are many things that will affect us all and you will get through it. I know as a child I was always an overly sensitive person, I was always down and upset. But you learn that no matter what happens whether your duah is accepted. One day it will be accepted. Life is a struggle. I know that and it gets worse before it gets easier. Keep a good support network. I have not believed in medicine. I take black seed oil and I have kept praying. Insha'Allah I will get better. Sometimes I do feel like I'm losing it but it's all mind games. So overpower it with your Imaan. I make duah for all of you. It is a difficult thing to go through. But rest assured you will get through it. Stay strong.
  35. aqeela raza
    April 24, 04:38
    salaam every one <br />its really a good topic to be discussed upon... same thing is happening with me ... i am under depression most of the time ..i always feel that i have committed many sins .. in my everyday life like lying , back biting and hurts others etc i really feel guilty and always in the same situation .. them main problem in me is that i am so much short tempered and so i hurt others unintentionally :( even i beaten my kids so much for very unimportant reasons.. i m in so much pain for my this nature .i want to overcome my anger and ego but always fails .. I pray but i always have a fear that whether my prayers are accepted or not. i think of myself so hostile and zalim . how should i do to overcome my anger and escape my kids from my anger
    • Fatemah
      May 01, 02:27
      Dont be so hard on yourself...sometimes we fall into this vicious cycle and it makes us more depressed,just ask Allah to help read the duas taught by Ahlul bayt, even just the translation helps ....and you can ease the situation with the kids iA by apologizing...its amazing how forgiving they can be and it shows us Allahs mercy.....but for immediate reliefyou can read tasbeeh Fatima az Zahra and you'll feel the instant results. Exercise, healthy diet, breathing deeply helps greatly.<br />May Allah cure this disorder for all our brothers and sisters, spiritually and medically if needed.
    • NoOr AL-JiBouri
      February 25, 01:04
      Salam Brother .. <br /><br />I will make dua for you :( ! This is really sad to listen .. Just begin by asking yourself simple questions .. Why are you lying ? and for the anger issue.. just to tell u the prophet said The angry person will not smell the perfume of paradise .. Isnt that enough to let you think .. anyways you need to read duas of ahlulbayt its the best way to remove all those dirtyness from ur heart ! and i have to recommand u salat al layl ( the night prayer ) ... it will purify your heart inshallah !
  36. Fatemah
    May 01, 02:13
    Thanks for the article and for the much needed discussion on this topic...especially moms with young kids are more susceptible to depression due to isolation, so its important to take time to meet friends and share, because a lot of people are going through the same stuff...and having a supprt system helps...when youre depressed you dont feel like sharing due to a fear of being rejected but that further isolates you...sometimes having a long term illness can cause depression as in my case, but again eating the right foods, exercise, and praying even when you dont feel like it helps...i always find dua mashlool to help...and ziyarat ashura and dua al qamah...it helps put life into perspective and helps me appreciate what I have, even on the days that I am in pain. I am thankful for my supporting family, and for the teachings of Ahlul Bayt that help me get through my toughest times. Let us all pray for all our brothers and sisters who are afflicted with the terrible disorder of depression, and to have success in dunyah and akhirah. ameen.
  37. junaid
    May 02, 08:58
    thanks..it gives me a lot of relief right from reading this article..insha allah..allah will bless u and me..
  38. Hadid e Haq
    June 16, 00:34
    A few quick points that might be helpful:<br /><br />1. I think that some people might be confusing "depression" with "clinical depression." Please learn about the difference. <br />2. Clinical depression is a physical ailment that does not, and should not, reflect negatively on a patient's character.<br />3. If you feel you have clinical depression seek help immediately; it will get substantially worse and destroy you as well as those close to you. <br />4. Perhaps, and most importantly, evaluate a matter only after fully understanding it; false information/assumptions can lead to disastrous results.<br /><br />*source: extensively discussing the topic with both Islamic and Medical authorities.
  39. salamun alaikum,<br />Great article its highlighted an issue which is rarely talked about and from the comments there are quite a few people who are experiencing something similar to what the author has shared with us. I hope all these people can find the help they need Inshallah and maybe look in to finding a therapist because talking can really help, speak to your GP for more advice. <br /><br />I work with people who are suffering from different types of mental health disorders and I have to say medication has helped significantly in putting their lives back to normal, however these people had symptoms which were so severe they could no longer continue with their daily lives; they had a clinical form of mental health issues. I know someone who's condition was so bad it had taken over their whole life they couldn't do very basic things let alone pray and think of God but since having medication they got their life back on track and they have started praying again Mashallah. <br /><br />I can accept why people would not want to opt for medication and in my opinion it should be the last resort however someone once said to me that all knowledge is from Allah (SWT) he created everything what ever means you use to help yourself get better whether its therapy or medication etc it is all from Allah (SWT). I'm not advocating the use of medication but raising point which should be considered. I think personally that a holistic approach is needed to help in coping with depression whether its mild or clinical as it can help in different aspects of your life. <br /><br />Try and remember that whatever your going through it will pass and Gods test us whether our lives are going well or badly. Inshallah you will all have your prayers answered :<br />thanking you !
  40. Habib Virani
    August 11, 12:58
    Br. Khalil Jaffer of Brampton has tackled this issue like no other under the subject: End Of Negative Suffering. He has dealt with the subject scientifically and as well as religiously. <br /><br />His video lectures are available on www.Almasumeen.org and any listener will vouch that he has not heard or read a better guidance on this issue than this.
  41. Y.N.V
    November 06, 22:51
    Thanks for sharing and for your advice :)<br />I've been depressed for years and I agree that it's difficult to find someone we can trust or talk to about it. I have also heard about Br. Khalil Jaffer's lectures as one person mentioned. I find that there is a great comfort in listening to lectures/videos about controlling our emotions and being peaceful/happy. I hope that inshaALLAh someday I will really leave this behind, as I have been trying to do for so long. Thanks again for sharing your story and the advice.
  42. Recovering
    November 12, 02:20
    As someone who is still in the recovering stages of depression, this article is really nice to see. Religion and faith have definitely been the most instrumental tool that has helped me in my darkest times. Even when all hope was lost I always knew that I wasn't ever going give up on Allah and faith. That thought alone helped brighten my spirits and cheer me up on some of my darkest days. I truly believe that unless you have been in depression yourself, you really do not understand what the person is going through. So its really nice to see an article like this written by someone who has been there rather than by an outsider...
  43. Sarat
    December 22, 06:19
    Asalamm everyone ... Reading this article is very inspiring and even made me cry .... I'm in this same situation depression and anxiety and sleepless nights... It's really hard to cope with I've been on many antidepressants which are temporarily relief and eventually u would become addicted and it may jus stop working ! It's scary living like this but I know it's a test from Allah .. Several times I always think negative about the situation and it's Like the devil puts many negative thoughts in my mind... I never use to pray in my younger years and I'm 22 , but u try my best to keep up now but some times I slack ... I just wish an miracle will happen! I kno one day this will all stop.... I jus keeping losing faith which is sad ! Every pray for me and always continue to pray for your selves... No situation is permenant and allah works at his own time and what ever he does is great for us
    • Hadid-e-Haq
      April 23, 23:26
      Salaam,<br /><br />If you feel that antidepressants are not working and/or you feel addicted to them, then a consultation with a psychiatrist is necessary; handling such complications is exactly what they're paid for!!! (if it was as simple as just taking a pill there would be no need for psychiatrists).<br /><br />With consultation from a proper professional will mitigate your symptoms at the very least.
  44. Ayesha
    January 07, 23:14
    For a professional confidential Islamic counselling service that are based in the UK but have clients world wide Try <br /> <br />www.sakoon.co.uk Sakoon Islamic Counselling services<br /><br />They are BACP registered
  45. LOVE YOU ALLAH
    February 15, 06:39
    Salams brothers and sisters.....ilhamdiLAH to the almighty ALAH FOR all his mercy upon us..<br />I am so glad i found this page brothers /sisters I have been suffering this problem for many years and been on medications but my problem does not seem to go away and is getting worse ....ilhamdILAH I have two beautiful children I pray I fast I try my best to commit myself to ALLAH S.A.W and keep hoping for the best but it totally destroys my day to day life and makes me feel i have no hope in life ...but always say ilhamdiLAH and pray to ALAH to cure me from this seriously ugly unwanted disease....I ask myself is this a test for me??????if it is I am hoping to pass it but if it is a random health problem please ALAH cure me and every other sick person and lead us all to the right path ...<br /><br />EnshALAH MAY ALAH S.A.W GIVE US ALL HEALTH AND LEAD US TO A RIGHTEUOS PATH TO GAIN A BEAUTIFUL HEREAFTER ENSHALLAH
    • Hadid-e-Haq
      April 23, 23:20
      Salaam,<br /><br />Often times it takes anywhere between few weeks to a few months for medications to take full effect. An effective regiment includes both medication and therapy (therapy is useful in modifying bad habits that have been developed that may feed back into the disease making it worse). <br /><br />If you have been doing both (medication and therapy) for more than six months now without seeing any changes, then please consult your psychiatrist as a change of medication regiment might be necessary. If even after this change you do not see any difference in your recovery then it might be best to switch doctors.
  46. rayees
    February 23, 22:05
    asak brothers and sisters , i am really depressed and very anxious , my depression came due to a fear of disease, hiv, i had a massage on my back with a na mehram and since then i cannot take this feeling out of my mind, it haunts me day and night and i am praying salah regularly, plz give some valuable information bros many of my friends and family told me that that is no way you can catch that disease but my mind doesnt stop thinking of it , i am unable to go to job or do anything , its on my mind every min since that action. Though some people laugh it out but i am unable to cope it up with. <br /><br />Iam sure allah wil help me soon but for a couple of times i also had suicidal thoughts then again suddenly i went back to allah and said my rubb iblis is haunting me plz help me i dont want to go in hell fire help me allah. <br /><br />plz pray for me brothers , i am 25 unmarried, plz pray for my marriage , i was so exicited about my marriage but these thoughts are making me almost dead. <br /><br />inshalah i ll be out of it and will be back to normal soon plz pray for me brothers and sisters.
  47. yasir
    February 24, 22:02
    salam all i have a health problam please pray for me & for my family
  48. Rajeena
    April 23, 16:01
    It is really great to read the article and so many comments about everyone who has experienced depression. I am in a similar situation and going through depression. As a child, i felt I was not appreciated and felt that whenever anything went wrong i was blamed. I suffer from really low self esteem. I lost faith as I went uni and mixed with some non muslim friends spent about 10 years of my life not following islam, done so many sins. I am now 29 and my imaan started building again following lot's of downfalls, then I isolated my self and got really scared after reading the translation of the quran and started reading/practising everything without paying attention to any worldly things, and now I feel like I can't do it, I am going insane. I recently had this anger problem which is scaring me, I started throwing objects in the house. I'm loosing my friends and family. I am single and want to get married but I am scared how I will be a good mother if I behave like this. Even my litte brother and sister are getting scared of me. I'm huting my mum and dad emotionally, but I don't know what to do. I felt what is the point, I overthink everything and now can't do normal chores. Keep thinking I'm going to go to hell anyway, and I don't know how to get my life back on track. I lost my job, money, I use to live alone, now I am scared to move in with my family in case it makes me do even more crazy things. I never had anyone to share problems with in the family as I am the 2nd eldest sibling, i relied on my friends for support. However, when I realised that they are all mainly not muslims, I stopped contact with them. Any advice would be appreciated.
    • Hadid-e-Haq
      April 23, 23:14
      Salaam,<br /><br />The first step to recovery from any disease is admitting the presence of one; this is especially difficult when such a disease is of a psychiatric condition.<br /><br />Please realize that just as having diabetes is not the fault of a patient, neither is having many of the psychiatric illnesses. Psychiatric illnesses are often times genetically inherited and can be effectively treated with proper medication and therapy.<br /><br />Having said this, it might not be a bad idea to seek a psychiatric consultation regarding your condition and follow it up with therapy. At best you will get better, at worst, you will at least gain a better insight into your condition.

Only registered users can comment.